Florida Mold Licensing

I’m teaching an IAQ and mold course in Florida this week, where legislation was recently passed to license mold professionals. The state law requires both assessors (inspectors) and remediation contractors to obtain a state license. The precise requirements have been slow to be released, with many questions still remaining. Here are some of the facts we do know:

  1. Although the law has been enacted, it will not be enforced until July 1, 2011.  Professionals can currently get licensed via two pathways: by grandfathering and by examination.
  2. Those wishing to grandfather into the certification will have two options: demonstrate experience or training and certification.  For experience, applicants will need to submit 40 invoices that document at least three years of experience.  Alternatively, applicants can submit paperwork documenting sufficient training* and a nationally recognized, proctored certification.
  3. Those wishing to go straight for the license without grandfathering can take an examination (and meet other requirements… see Update at the bottom).  The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation has selected the American Council for Accreditted Certification (ACAC) as a partner for exam licensing.  People wanting to get the assessors license will need to pass one of the following examinations: CIE, CIEC, CMC.  People wanting to get the remediation license will need to pass one of the following exams: CMR, CMRS, CIES.  Notice a slight distinction… Applicants are not required to get these certifications, merely pass the examination.  However, if someone is planning on going through the whole process of studying for and passing the exam, they might as well get certified.  Those taking the exam only will pay $100, and those taking the exam and getting certified will pay $400.

I’m sure I’ll have some interesting conversations with students this week regarding Florida Mold Licensing.  If I learn anything new, I’ll update this blog post.

Update (7/29/10): Those wishing to go for the license directly by passing the ACAC examination will be required to have 4 years experience, or if they have a college degree in a related science, only 1 year.

*Sufficient training is defined as 60 hours of verifiable education for assessors and 30 hours for remediators.

By Ian Cull

I'm I.A.N. the Indoor Air Nerd. I'm a speaker and consultant on indoor air quality issues. To learn more about me, click "about" at the top of this page.

7 replies on “Florida Mold Licensing”

Re the FL mold law: Any input as to where we can get some E&O ins without getting taken to the poor house?

Although three in my company in cluding myself have passed the CIEC exam and are certified, there seams to be a consensus that we are to be grandfathered in. Does this not make sence or am I missing something here.


One option with the grandfathering is to demonstrate that you have 60 hours of mold training and a nationally recognized certification (like the CIEC). The grandfathering period ends in March of 2011 so get your applications filled out soon. As an assessor grandfathering in, you’ll want to follow this link for the application: Application

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *