If you cannot view the video above go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmAoju9gyA.
At the Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA) Annual Meeting in February, I got a chance to interview Brian McFarland of Legends Environmental Insurance Services. In the video below, I ask Brian some of the most common questions related to insurance for indoor air quality professionals.
If you cannot view the video above go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKWIySHCjAI&hd=1.
If you cannot view the video above go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLw4fGx63Qc.
Interpreting the results of mold sampling is no easy task. That’s why many mold inspectors merely hand off some unintelligible lab report and run for it. Why is it that so many people email me through this blog asking for help to interpret mold test results? The reason is a failure on the part of the mold inspector to properly understand what they are doing.
You, dear homeowner, deserve more from a mold inspection.
In the comments section of this blog post, feel free to post your question related to mold testing. However, here are the rules: Continue Reading…
If you cannot view the video above go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BevCDzFJK94.
- "IICRC S520 is a minimum standard", Davidge Warfield. #iaqa2013 ->
- You cannot use particle counts to determine if there are IAQ complaints. #iaqa2013 ->
- .3 microns not affected by room activity. #iaqa2013 ->
- At Cassidy's presentation on particle counts. Concentrations fairly similar throughout building. #iaqa2013 ->
- Ventilation decreased short term sick leave by 1.6 days per year #iaqa2013 ->
- High CO2 affects decision making #iaqa2013 http://t.co/H2PNURkffI ->
- DALY= Disability adjusted life year. Doesn't look like chronic effects that should drive our decisions. #iaqa2013 ->
- Attending Bill Fisk session on benefits and costs of building ventilation. #iaqa2013 ->
- ASTM recommends "pause points". At certain points, stop and process all the information gathered. #iaqa2013 ->
- Lisa Rogers on ASTM Fungal Assessment Guide #iaqa2013 ->
- States with more stringent asbestos rules: CA, UT, CO, TX, NY, LA, etc. #iaqa2013 ->
- Asbestos possible unless surface is glass, metal, or wood. #iaqa2013 ->
- Derrick Denis presenting on Asbestos. It is not totally banned in the US. #iaqa2013 ->
- Derrick Denis a.k.a. "The IAQ Hottie" giving presentation on IAQA membership benefits. #iaqa2013 ->
- Just finished my presentation on top IAQ publications and research out in last 12 months. #iaqa2013 ->
- Bob Baker… Air leakage in ductwork doesn't get enough attention #iaqa2013 #resnet13 #acca13 ->
- When do you clean the HVAC system after mold remediation? Ultimate: rough cleaning & repairs at beginning, again at end #iaqa2013 #acca13 ->
- Imaginary station at Florida border that prevents sheet metal ductwork, even in commercial systems. #iaqa2013 ->
- Rule of thumb… Residential hvac equipment life 15-20 years. Commercial buildings much longer. #iaqa2013 ->
- If in doubt, bring in supplemental heating or cooling during remediation. #iaqa2013 ->
- If HVAC flooded, easy decision… Turn off, lock out and remediate. #iaqa2013 ->
- Should you run the HVAC system when remediating the area? #iaqa2013 ->
- Attending Bob Baker's presentation on mold issues in HVAC systems. #iaqa2013 ->
- IAQ Website of the Month- January 2013 – http://t.co/wHt3Sy6B9a ->
- Susan Valenti just showed me how to at pictures. Thanks @iaqsusan! #iaqa2013 http://t.co/ajIIrbxTb4 ->
- I also stopped by the Qlab booth 310 and checked out their new sponge-swab for post remediation verification. #iaqa2013 ->
- I just stopped by the Kanomax booth and checked out a cool new odor detector Booth 311. #iaqa2013 ->
- Degrading nylon can smell like dead fish #iaqa2013 ->
- Women are more sensitive to odors than men #iaqa2013 ->
- Odors from mice and shrews! #iaqa2013 ->
- Sewer gas is the most common intermittent odor. #iaqa2013 ->
- TIF 880 for gas leaks. #iaqa2013 ->
- Attending Jeff May's session on investigating odors. #iaqa2013 ->
- Don't reuse holes from pin-type meters. #iaqa2013 ->
- Demonstrating infrared cameras that communicate with iPads. #iaqa2013 ->
- Measuring concrete: ASTM F 2170 Drill hole and put in humidity sleeve for 72 hours. Takes long time. #iaqa2013 ->
This 1959 video is titled “Asbestos – A Matter of Time”. It describes the geology and production of asbestos and touts its many uses. From our modern perspective, we probably interpret the title as meaning it’s only a matter of time before you die from it!
This video is actually entertaining and well narrated. There are some classic lines in here (e.g. “Untouched by time’s dark captains rust, rot and decay…”). It’s a great video to watch if you find yourself eating lunch at your desk.
Here is the video:
In case the video doesn’t load, here is a direct link:
if you cannot view the video above go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFoILBkTRgg.